The ideal dish to make before autumn kicks in, these grilled skewers can be cooked on the grill in your backyard or, just as easily, in the kitchen, on a cast iron grill pan. Pair them with a simple salad or herby roasted potatoes, and dinner’s sorted. The best part? They take 40 minutes from start to finish to put together -- though you will have to prep the marinade the night before. Trust us, it’ll make all the difference!
Serves 4 to 6
- 500 grams plain whole-milk yoghurt
- 55 grams minced shallots or onions
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Handful finely chopped cilantro
- Handful finely chopped mint
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1.3kg (3 pounds) trimmed boneless leg of lamb, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 18 skewers, soaked in water for 1 hour
- In a large bowl, whisk the yoghurt with the shallots, garlic, lemon juice, sugar and cumin. Stir in the cilantro and mint and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Transfer 1 cup of the yoghurt sauce to a bowl; cover and refrigerate. Pour the remaining yoghurt sauce into a large, resealable plastic bag. Add the lamb and turn to coat thoroughly. Seal the bag and refrigerate overnight.
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Remove the lamb from the marinade and thread the meat onto the skewers. Season with salt and pepper. Grill the lamb over high heat, turning, until charred in spots, about 7 minutes for medium meat.
- Transfer the skewers to a platter and serve with the reserved yoghurt sauce.