Creamy, crisp and oh-so moreish, avocado on toast is a simple but filling breakfast, not to mention a healthy option to start the day on the right foot. A classic of Australian mornings, make it to pretend you’re in Melbourne -- and pair it with a homemade flatwhite for maximum effect.
- 2 slices of bread -- sourdough or bloomers for best results
- ½ ripe avocado
- Pinch of salt
- Optional: Extra toppings
- Toast your slice of bread until golden and firm.
- Remove the pit from your avocado. Use a big spoon to scoop out the flesh. Put it in a bowl and mash it up with a fork until it’s as smooth as you like it. Mix in a pinch of salt and add more to taste.
- Spread the avocado on top of your toast. Enjoy as-is or top with any extras.
Here are a few easy ways to take your avocado toast up a notch. Pick one or mix and match.
- Add garlic: Rub a peeled raw garlic clove over the top of your toast before adding the avocado, or mix a tiny pinch of garlic powder into the avocado.
- Add fresh leafy herbs: Chopped fresh basil, coriander, dill or parsley are all good with avocado.
- Put an egg on it: Top it all with an egg for extra protein -- poached, scrambled or fried all work!
- Sprinkle goats cheese: Add a bit of goats cheese on top, so very delicious.